Life Coaching vs. Therapy: What’s the difference?

By on February 1, 2014
Life Coaching vs. Therapy: What’s the difference?

Life Coaching vs. Therapy: Whats the difference?

Life Coaching is a steady growing field and market, that is in higher demand everyday. At the same time, it’s so interesting because most people have NO IDEA what life coaching is all about. Many people have some idea what therapy is about, but still need more information on what life coaching is exactly, how it’s different and what are it’s benefits.

So, I put together this list. I hope it helps!

Life Coaching is mainly about:

• Developing a vision and purpose for ones life, business or both – getting clear on where you are and where you want to be
  • Dealing with the present and planning for the future – creating a map and plan for the future
  • Setting and reaching meaningful goals – set goals that excite you and elevate your performance
  • Performing at higher levels – operate at higher levels with greater clarity and intention
  • Creating solutions together (coach and client) – collaborate with your coach
  • Held accountable by the coach – constant reflection and measurement of progress
  • Developing a better communication, self talk and self esteem
  • Sessions are held over the phone or on Skpye

Therapy is mainly about:

• Dealing with past issues and trauma
  • Learning how to let go from the past
  • Focused on achieving emotional balance and understanding
  • Gets solutions from the therapist
  • Sessions are held in person
  • Deals with crisis

Both have the potential to add tremendous value to your life. I would argue that the biggest difference between the two is that Life Coaching deals with the present and focuses on moving forward with clarity, purpose and intention; while therapy deals with resolving the past.

How could life coaching benefit you? How could having a coach help you become more focused, productive, confident and aligned?

As always, share your thoughts on how this could fit into your life!

Related Posts

Sign up for our weekly newsletter on Personal Empowerment, Motivation and Success!

screen shot 2014 02 28 at 3 08 18 pm Life Coaching vs. Therapy: Whats the difference?

Take a second to LIKE, COMMENT & SHARE!

About Jeffrey I. Moore

Founder of www.EverydayPowerBlog.com and My Everyday Power, Jeff Moore is an entrepreneur, educator, and motivator on a mission to inspire those around him. Jeff has dedicated his personal and professional life to helping people realize their own potential for greatness. He has an expertise in creating intrinsic motivation and is a catalyst for incredible change in the lives of others.

16 Comments

1. Caleb

February 26, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Coaching is about developing the skills, goals and mindset to have a successful career in all aspects in one’s life.

2. revgerry

February 4, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Had to read it, since I do both and spiritual teaching and coaching besides. Well done. Very informative. Love your blog, and thanks for stopping by mine.

3. 03alwi

February 2, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Some people have problems moving forward because of their past. Would you say that in such cases someone would need both therapy and life coaching or does life coaching make provision for such individuals. I know of Positive Psychotherapy which is similar to your description of life coaching. So how does one become a life coach anyway? Do you need a degree in psychology or just life experience. Thanks for the great post.

• Everyday Power

February 2, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Every person is different and you are going to get different things from a coach and a therapist. The goal (I believe) is to function from possibility, desire and love – and not just past experience.

4. marieabanga

February 2, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Jeff, while thanking you today for this, I must admit I have some more questions. Well just one for here and the others we will face when I start my sessions with you in 16 days oh I can’t wait. Ok back to my question, do you mean a life coach wouldn’t care about the past of his or her ‘client’? Thanks once more and please add more you tubes to your channel and work on your g+ page too for other audiences go that way too.

• Everyday Power

February 2, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Any great coach will care. But that past is not the focal point. Letting go of the past is the focal point. Thank you Marie!

5. slesser1013

February 2, 2014 at 10:53 am

I loved your post though and I felt it was great.

6. slesser1013

February 2, 2014 at 10:52 am

I have a master’s in clincial psychology and I was going for the docorate, therapy also deals with changing behaviors and thoughts to help relieve some symptoms, its not necessarily always going back to the past.

• Everyday Power

February 2, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Thank you for doing the work you do and thank you for sharing that! I agree completely!

7. Pingback: Life Coaching vs. Therapy: What’s the difference? | Stephen Halpin Life Coach

8. Arman

February 1, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Reblogged this on Corporate Skirts and commented:
    What a beautiful clear way of explaining the difference between therapy and life coaching… hats off to Jeff :D

• Everyday Power

February 2, 2014 at 8:25 am

Thanks for sharing, Arman!!!

• Arman

February 2, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Pleasure’s all mine Jeff :)